our man vs wild producer suffering from a brutal snake bite – fighting the injury with courage. twitter.com/BearGrylls/sta…
— Bear Grylls (@BearGrylls) April 30, 2013
Rankin was bitten by a Fer-de-Lance, one of the deadliest snakes in the world. According to a statement with TMZ, Rankin claims, “…the fangs went right through my boot.” The crew members were able to cart Rankin 2 miles through the jungle to a helipad were he was lifted to a hospital in San Jose, California, were he received treatment for the venomous bite. Rankin then returned to Costa Rica, but despite the antibiotic treatment, shit still got fucked!
(Scroll over image to view)
“About 5 days later the flesh in my foot had started to rot,” Rankin tells TMZ. Rankin had to have a chunk of skin removed by surgeons in Costa Rica before being rushed to an L.A. hospital for skin grafts.
Rankin has since reurned to work, according to his Twitter feed:
First day in the office for two months. Check out thecool laptop ‘grandad bag’ ! twitter.com/steve_rankin/s…
— stephen rankin (@steve_rankin) May 6, 2013